2021Analyzed climate impact and defined strategies.
Developed net-zero strategies.
- To establish a system of governance for climate response initiatives; to define the roles and responsibilities of relevant departments and launch the Carbon Neutrality Council
- To monitor performance of low-carbon pilot projects at construction sites and buildings
- To define mid- to long-term business strategies aligned with climate goals
- To upgrade GHG emissions control system
- To define emissions scope and targets across the value chain
- To sign up to the Carbon Disclosure Project (first CDP score in 2022)
2022~2030Implement climate response strategies.
Develop and launch a low-carbon business scheme.
- To join Korea RE100 (2022 onwards)
- To deliver significant emissions savings through renewable energy projects (2025 onwards)
- To enter global markets for GHG emissions reduction projects
- To develop technologies to combat climate change to acquire more projects
- To monitor and quantify emissions savings along the value chain; to track value chain emissions and set more ambitious goals
2030~2050Lead the climate change market from competitive edges
Become a top-tier construction company responding to climate change
- Securing a leading position in low-carbon management and contributing to POSCO Group’s carbon neutrality
- Leading domestic and overseas low-carbon businesses - Hydrogen infrastructure, smart water management, etc.
- Leading the domestic zero-energy building market
- Commercializing technologies related to climate change and securing market advantages
- Contribution to carbon neutrality by major supply chains, customers and suppliers
Make Existing Businesses
Power generationLow-carbon power generation
- Halt any new coal-fired power generation projects
- Launch renewable projects, e.g., gas-to-power (using existing LNG terminals), fuel cell power generation
- Secure an early advantage in local and global water service markets, e.g., seawater desalination, smart water management
- Promote organic waste recycling and launch waste-to-energy projects, e.g., biogas, waste heat
- Improve aging infrastructure by applying climate adaptation techniques
ConstructionEnergy efficiency improvement
- Initiate zero-energy buildings and green remodeling projects
- Support green construction projects
- Develop smart and green industrial complexes and cities that incorporate cutting-edge digital technologies
Renewable energyExpand projects in Korea and abroad
- Enter new offshore solar and wind markets
- Increase emissions savings through global renewable projects and sell carbon credits
HydrogenDevelop low-carbon technology breakthroughs
- Collaborate with POSCO to develop projects across the hydrogen value chain and gain an early market foothold
- Build the necessary infrastructure for hydrogen projects, e.g., byproduct hydrogen, ammonia storage tanks
Rechargeable batteriesEnhance engineering capabilities
- •Exploit the captive market for battery materials, e.g, lithium, anode and cathode materials, by acquiring core technologies
- Green hydrogen Solar and wind systems, electrolyzers
- Hydrogen storage Liquid hydrogen storage technology ensures safety
- Hydrogen use infrastructure Smart hydrogen city equipped with hydrogen filling stations and power plants
- •No. 6 LNG tank project, Gwangyang, Korea
- •Combined cycle power plant and terminal project, Colon, Panama
- Eco-friendly engineering processes
- Digital tools for sustainable construction
- Eco-friendly design
- Risk prevention and removal
- Assistance to suppliers to help develop eco-friendly products
- Eco-friendly digital solutions
- Eco-friendly site management
- Environmental risk management
- Waste management system
- Waste reduction
- Idea and best practice contest
- Sustainability campaigns
Spray Truck Operation Cost Cut by 50%
By using eco-conscious dust control agent
The Infrastructure Research Group at our R&D Center collaborated with the Ministry of Environment, local universities and small enterprises to develop a low-cost, energy-efficient dust control agent that uses eco-friendly hybrid polymer.* The agent has been applied to the Iksan-Pyeongtaek Expressway (section 11).
Smart Spray System
Wins Top Prize at the Construction Environment Management Best Practices Awards.
In partnership with smaller businesses, we developed an unmanned, remote controlled spray system. Fitted with an engine, the spray system automatically adjusts the angle of its nozzle, offering an effective alternative to manual dust suppression at dangerous construction sites.